hep B Surface Antigen Positive

My wife recently tested positive for Hep B surface antigen as part of a routine blood test. She's in her first trimester. The Doctor proceeded to do a liver test and everything came back "negative" and said we were in the clear. Now she wants us to see GI specialist because it may be chronic Hep B. Can you shed any light on this situation? Should she get re-tested? Thanks, Concerned husband.

If your wife is at risk for hepatitis B, then the surface antigen can mean a chronic carrier state that is inactive due to no virus in her blood.

Yes I would agree that she should see a specialist to be certain that: 1. The hepatitis B surface antigen was confirmed. 2. To evaluate other markers of infection. 3. To make recommendations about whether this test is false positive or true positive. If true positive, then there will be recommendations about how to monitor her before she gives birth and there will be recommendations about given immunizations to your baby.

Dr. M

hepatitis c
Do I have to worry about monitoring my self for HCC(AFP Ultrasound)?