Re: CAN STOP ARV

Liver cells, called hepatocytes, play a vital role in the functioning of the liver in my case which is enlarged in size by 15.5 cm in segital scan measured by Kathmandu Medical college, USG reported on 23 January, 06, Monday. Which was reported enlarged by 14.8 cm from the Meridian Health care center Maharjgunj on 06.10.2005, Thursday? My LFT is 3rd time higher according then the medical guidelines. Situation seems getting worst on me and from yesterday I have decided to and continuing to spend money on unproven treatments and it is hard to motivate that tradition factor is one of the medicine that used as a complimentary therapy amongst poor country like Nepal. But if I would say that the developing country even using the herbal medicine as of their alternative therapy and which proven their well status of Liver function with medical testimonial equipped, such as Chinese herbal medicine in particular is used quite widely in the United Kingdom. Among the most common herbal remedies for hepatitis is milk thistle (silymarin) which i have started. Please put me forward with your recommendation about my decision going through this herbal medicine. So mean while can i stop my ARV for months so that once my liver function does down then i could have started my ART again my recent CD4 is 108 please suggest me. --

In terms of advice about milk thistle, all I can say is that it doesn't appear to cause harm. As to whether it truly helps, that is unclear from the literature we have today.

As for your ARV, I would discuss that decision very carefully with your physician. If your CD4 count is low, you need your ARV for your HIV disease. Also there is some data to suggest that ARV is helpful in slowing down progression of viral hepatitis. Also let your physician know that you are thinking of starting herbal therapy.

Dr. M

cofused with Hepa B
HBV DNA