Severe Ribavirin Rash - questions about options

I have only 9 weeks of Pegasys/Copegus (Interferon/Ribavirin) treatment left (started last May). My dosage has been reduced to 135 mcg Interferon and 600 (3 pills daily) Ribavirin because of low blood counts. The ribavirin rash has been progressively worse since Nov., is now nearly unbearable from neck to ankles. I've done moisturizers, Aveeno Baths, 1 % hydrocortisone, etc. as suggested by GP. Benedryl makes it worse. I finally can see a dermatologist next week. I suspect it is severe enough for oral Prednisone. Would you say that is preferable to a week's suspension of Ribavirin, for example? I do not want to jeapardize my treatment after going through so much, but I fear the side effects of Prednisone. Thanks for your help. Winnie Tyler

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Oral Prednisone is the perfectly fine to use. I have treated people with it for most of their time on Peg and ribavirin and still gotten a cure! Dose reduction is already risking your SVR. Prednisone should do it and you can taper it down to the lowest possible dose. Good luck! DTD

Possible Transmission...?
HCV viremia intermittent?