Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: CAN STOP ARV
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I had suffered by Stephen Johnson syndrome side effect of prophylaxis Bactrim on 16th of Arpil 2005, which I often used to take as an PCP prophylaxis but during my ARV period as if concerned with my doctors they provide me Diapason 100 mg in alternative but now I am using in desensitization dosage of Bactrim. I am totally agreed with your recommendation not to spend money on unproven treatments and it is hard to motivate that tradition factor is one of the medicine that used as a complimentary therapy amongst poor country like Nepal. But if I would say that the developing country even using the herbal medicine as of their alternative therapy and which proven their well status with medical testimonial, such as Chinese herbal medicine in particular is used quite widely in the United Kingdom. Among the most common herbal remedies for hepatitis are milk thistle (silymarin) and licorice root (glycyrrhizin). Please put me forward with your recommendation because I am going to use this alternative therapy for my HCV treatment.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would err on the side of milk thistle. Although not proven, it is certainly not harmful in any of the papers I have seen.

Best regards to you. I wish there was more I could offer.

Previous
c reactive protein
Next
can AIDs be transmitted through sharing earrings?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.