Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBsAg Positive
Jan 21, 2006

Dear Dr., Many thanks in advance for conidering my question. I am 38 years old now. I have the feeling that I was first exposed to the virus some 23 years back (I recall having yellowish eyes, yellow nails, loss of appetite for a short period of time by then - not sure). And let me put my test results for ur info. Albumin - 5.8 (remarked High), ALT - 23, AST - 20, Alk. Phosph - 64, Bilirubin,Direct - 0.26, Bilirubin, Total - 1.35 (remarked high), HBeAg - Negative, HBsAg - Positive, GGT - 27, PCR DNA, 14,000 copies/ml, I have the habit of taking some two bottles of beer (300 ml each and 4.25% alcohol content) almost daily. I also prefer eating meat than vegetables. With this background information what do u advise me to do? What risk do I bear? Do I need to do other types of tests like HBcAg, IgM, IgG, presence of anti bodies, etc?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Since you have evidence of virus in your blood (PCR DNA) you have hepatitis B e antigen negative infection. However, your liver function tests in this panel (ALT and AST) are normal which is good news.

At this point, I would monitor your liver function tests every three to six months to see if they remain normal. If they do remain normal, I would not do anything else but monitor your bloods.

If they fluctuate, then I would obtain a liver biopsy to see if you have disease.

Dr. M

Previous
HBV questions - Please help
Next
Had two livers tests 3-weeks apart

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.