hcv rna

I have been tested by the EIA and found out positive with the antibody for hcv. Next step I have done was tested with HCV RNA qualitative and the result said " Not Detected " does this mean that I am not positive with hep c or do I need more the hcv rna quantitative test to further resolve my case.

It depends on the circumstance.

If you are a high risk patient (eg. an injection drug user for example), you were probably exposed to HCV but cleared the virus on your own. I would have further testing of HCV RNA with a qualitative test in about 6 to 12 months to be certain that the virus is still undetected.

If you are a low risk patient (eg., getting a HCV antibody just for life insurance purposes and have no risk of exposure) the EIA may be a false positive. You should then have a RIBA test to see if you are truly positive.

Dr. McGovern

Recent needlestick
HCV and immune response in HIV infected