Suitable treatment for HBV?

Hi. I was diagnosed with Hep B in April, 2005 and my most recent recent lab results have come in as follows:

HBsAg positive HBsAb negative HBeAg negative HBeAb positive AST 36 ALT 61 GGT 26 DNA VBH (by PCR) 16.540 copies/ml (3 months before in other lab results was DNA VBH 214 copies/ml)

My doctor performanced a liver biopsy and the results was: No fibrosis (stage 0 of 4) , minimal portal inflamation (stage1 of 4)

My doctor has suggested me to iniciate treatment with Lamivudine(Zeffix) during 3 or 6 months, repeat new test and evaluate viral load in blood DNA VBH , and continue the treatment with adefovir (Hepsera) in order to avoid development of resistance with lamivudine.

Is it really necessary to iniciate treatment? What is your treatment suggestion?

I'm really appreciated your comments. thank you very much

Although there are many drugs now available for HBV treatment, I personally do not think that we know the best way to use them. For example, maybe it is best to use multiple drugs at once or at least two at a time. Studies are currently underway to examine these possibilities.

With so little disease activity on your biopsy, I would be reassured and hold off on treatment until we understand the best way to use these medications. You certainly have years to make a decision on treatment and I would want to avoid the onset of resistance at all cost.

Dr. McGovern

HCV-hair clippers
does my child needs another booster after 5 years?