Straight Razor

Hello, I searched your forum on the use of straight razors, and see a couple of answers that give a mixed message to me. My husband had recently gotten a haircut and the barber had used a straight razor on his neck when he told me this I was very worried about exposures to Hiv & Hep. Is this a really high risk for any disease? I am so worried it makes me sick to my stomach. We have a family and have been married for 5 years and don't engage in any risky behavior should I worry now, that he is infected with something? Is testing in order? Should I worry about this and him in contact with the kids? Sorry if this seems so long, but please answer! The other answers on your forum say that sanitizer isn't a virus killer, however I don't even know if the razor was in anything at all! Would a cut have to be a bigger one or anything as small as a nick, because didn't really see anything! I do see that your recommend against this and not sure why some barbers still do this? Thanks in advance! Please answer! Worried Sick!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question! I do not let barbers use a straight razor on me unless it is disposable and a one time only blade. The chances are not high, of transmission, but I think it can be a risk. Ask the barber if the razors are disposable. If not, then dont let him do it! DTD

Is it safe?
undetectable HCV