Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

updated news folow up
Dec 10, 2005

Hi Doctor

MY HBEAG: Negative and HBEAB:Positive EVEN before i started the treatment. My DNA Qualitative came today NEGITIVE . My liver function test are within the normal . Is is recommanded to cont. taking the Lamuvidine. if yes what is the international racoomandation?

Best regards.

Dr. McGovern

Thanks, Dr. below is my recent HBE results.

HBEAG: Negative. HBEAB:Positive.

Regards,

I started taking zeffix tablets since last March . A dna quant. test made for me two months and the result was undedactable !still taking the tablets. My question is how long i will be taking it again ?. and is there any side effect of using this medicin for long periods ?

Thanks again and wish you a good day

I am so glad your hepatitis B virus is suppressed on Zeffix (Lamivudine; Epivir). However, I cannot tell you how long you will need to be on drug. You will need to ask your doctor if you have hepatitis B e antigen positive or e antigen negative infection. That will be important in determining length of treatment. The drug is well-tolerated. The only thing I would be concerned about with long-term treatment is the emergence of resistance.

Dr. McGovern

Response from Dr. McGovern

These look like great results. You have apparently "seroconverted" your HBeAntigen to HBeAntibody. These results along with your HBV DNA look terrific.

We usually recommend a minimum of 6 months of treatment after HBe antigen seroconversion.

Good luck! Dr. McG

Response from Dr. McGovern

I usually continue lamivudine for six months after seroconversion (the change of e antigen to negative and the e antibody to positive).

This is great news!

Dr. M

Previous
Need your Advice hepa b patient
Next
inanimate object

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.