Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

laboratory dilemma
Nov 29, 2005

Hello. (please answer me !!! I'm very very very stressed).

I worked for a period in a lab in which they used to cut fresh carotid arteries specimens (taken from the operatory room, and keeped in medium) in order to make cell colture (to obtain fibroblasts). I have seen the technicians work properly with their gloves, but sometimes with their gloves they touched the artery or the medium in which it has been keeped. I fear(actually, I'm quite sure) that the technician sometimes touched with these "contaminated" gloves the petri dishes, or even the lab's fridge or even the door-knob. So... maybe with gloves they touched again the petri dish, and with these gloves... they could have touched somewhere else in the lab ! I must therefore confess that I've never noticed blood or other biological stains on the furnitures.

The problem is that I fear taht some of us working there could have touched with a bare naked hand some of these "invisible" stains, and that i could have touched my mouth or my eyes...

So... Im' quite worried for me, and for other workers.

Is these a real way in which we can have been infected with HIV, HBC or HCV? - ok I have taken vaccine against HBV but not all the people working there did !-

Thank you.

Please do answer... I'm really in a bad and paranoyd mood.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Relax, all of those possibilities are remote, astronomically remote. Forget it. Wash your hands and get Hepatitis A vaccine too. DTD

Previous
Medicine - Baracide
Next
HCV reservoir?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.