laboratory dilemma

Hello. (please answer me !!! I'm very very very stressed).

I worked for a period in a lab in which they used to cut fresh carotid arteries specimens (taken from the operatory room, and keeped in medium) in order to make cell colture (to obtain fibroblasts). I have seen the technicians work properly with their gloves, but sometimes with their gloves they touched the artery or the medium in which it has been keeped. I fear(actually, I'm quite sure) that the technician sometimes touched with these "contaminated" gloves the petri dishes, or even the lab's fridge or even the door-knob. So... maybe with gloves they touched again the petri dish, and with these gloves... they could have touched somewhere else in the lab ! I must therefore confess that I've never noticed blood or other biological stains on the furnitures.

The problem is that I fear taht some of us working there could have touched with a bare naked hand some of these "invisible" stains, and that i could have touched my mouth or my eyes...

So... Im' quite worried for me, and for other workers.

Is these a real way in which we can have been infected with HIV, HBC or HCV? - ok I have taken vaccine against HBV but not all the people working there did !-

Thank you.

Please do answer... I'm really in a bad and paranoyd mood.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Relax, all of those possibilities are remote, astronomically remote. Forget it. Wash your hands and get Hepatitis A vaccine too. DTD

Medicine - Baracide
HCV reservoir?