Treatment options

Hi Dr. McGovern. Thanks for answering my question. A follow up question. So if my ALT is low(45), does that mean my liver function are normal? Dr did say my biopsy or blood test showed signs of liver inflamation. What does that mean? Also, he said my number is kind of high like 2million. What does that measure? Amount of viruses going on in the liver? There's nothing we can do until they start to damage the liver? Thanks again.

I don't remember your first question but suspect you are asking a question about hepatitis C. If you have inflammation, my preference would be a trial of treatment to see how you respond, since I would worry that you are at risk of progressing.

However, your physician would know best by looking at your biopsy. Maybe there is inflammation - but such a small amount of inflammation that he or she is considering watching you in the meantime. This is a reasonable course of action as well. Sometimes there are other considerations before starting treatment, such as other medical problems which may make the treatment more difficult.

The level of virus doesn't tell you anything about liver damage. It is just a number to watch as you go on treatment, which will hopefully fall as you go on therapy.

If no therapy is planned because the disease is early, I would recommend a follow up biopsy in the future.

Dr. M

HBV
discrepant lab results for HB