|ALT in immunocompromised
Nov 27, 2005
Why is ALT in HCV sometimes "in range" in immunocompromised? Is there a clear correlation between ALT and liver damage?
Response from Dr. McGovern
The level of ALT reflects liver damage. However, it is important to realize that sometimes liver damage can exist with normal ALT - even in immunocompetent hosts. This has been well-described in patients with active hepatitis C (patients who are viremic) and normal ALT.
Whether a liver biopsy is needed or not depends on many different factors and should be discussed with your physician.
vaccine after exposure?
- Can U Get HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Burning Penis After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- If A Man Pulls Out Before He Comes Can I Still Get A Std?
- If Both Partners Are Std Free Can You Still Get An Std?
- Are Purple Bumps On Side Of Mouth Cheeks A Sign Of Hiv?
- At What Stages Of HIV Does Peripheral Neuropathy Occur
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.