riba test

I am from philippines,I have been tested for screening for anti hcv by EIA and have been found out positive with the antibody with low s co ratio.I know that I need the reflex supplemental test which is the riba to confirm if I'm positive with hep c but to my dismay our country has no laboratory center that offers riba test only the hcv rna qualitative is available here.How can I avail of riba test or any suggestions regarding this problem.Thank you and more power.

I only use a RIBA to confirm a hepatitis C antibody if the patient has no risk for hepatitis C and was found to be positive.

If I have a patient who is hepatitis C antibody positive but has risk factors, then I get a hepatitis C quantititative test to see how much virus they have for both confirmation of the infection and for knowledge of their baseline viral load prior to treatment, if needed.

If you have no risk for hepatitis C and are surprised at the results, but have no access to RIBA, I would simply get the RNA test for now and see what is found since there are no other clear options.

Dr. M

hepatitis B and alchohol
hb