Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

inactive hep b
Nov 6, 2005

Hi I was told I have inactive Hep B, I am very confused- a couple Questions I cant get anwser's for?Can I ever become active? Will I be able to have children? Can I still get a vaccine? My test results are - Antibodies to Hep b core antigen(anti HBc, IgG, and IgM) Positive -Hep B virus nucleic acid test, Positive..Every thing else is Negative. Can you help me understand more?

Response from Dr. McGovern

An inactive carrier is someone who is surface antigen positive but have low or undetectable levels of virus.

It can become active again under certain circumstances - anything that may depress your immune system like chemotherapy, steroids, or HIV infection.

Vaccination is not suggested since you already have the infection.

You will need monitoring by your physician to be certain that your infection stays inactive. I would also recommend vaccination for your household contacts and sexual partner.

Dr. M

Previous
dna test
Next
womens risk of Hep C with oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.