The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment with Hepsera
Nov 6, 2005

Just want to ensure from your standpoint what I should expect from a treatment plan standpoint...

I have chronic Hep B. My last lab indicated a HBV DNA level of 237,000 cp/mL, which prompted my Dr. to have me get treated by a GE specialist. The GE prescribed Hepsera, which I've been on for almost 2 months. He had me get checked for kidney and liver function tests 1 month after, which came back normal for both tests and is having me do another one after this 2nd month. These are tests to ensure I'm handling the medication well and to proceed. Is there anything else I should expect soon like another full series of tests, like DNA? And how long I should be taking the med (I read 1 year in internet research), but he just says I'll be "on it for a while." Thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would check your hepatitis B DNA level in three months after starting treatment to see how you are responding.

People with e antigen positive infection may be treated for one year; however, if you get a "seroconversion" towards the end of treatment, most hepatologists will treat for an additional six months after that important event. If you have e antigen negative infection, treatment may need to be chronic, since most ofthese patients relapse when they come off treatment.

You will need to discuss whether you are a e antigen positive or e antigen negative patient with your physician. Also if your DNA level is not responding after 3 months, you may want to discuss other treatment options.

Dr. M

hepetitis B
Timeframe btwn Phases

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint