HCV

I recently gave blood at a blood drive and I tested positive for Hep C. The blood center told me there tests are highly sensitive and there could have just been a "normal" virus in my body to trigger the positive result. I have been re-tested at my Dr. office and I am awaiting the results. So far I have no symptoms and according to my Dr. my liver is not yet swollen.

Is it possible that the blood center is right, there is some commmon virus with no possible risk at all that triggered the positive result?

Thanks for your input!

Rachel

False positive tests can occur with ANY laboratory test and hepatitis C is just one of them. This occurs from time to time in patients who are giving blood. These people usually have no risk factors for hepatitis.

When you test a population of patients at low risk, your test procedure, whatever it is, then has a higher chance of giving a "false positive".

Dr. M

Treatment options?
hepatitis c