Nov 6, 2005
Hi, I am 37. I have been seeing a GI and he's been working with a Hepatitis B specialist for my Hepatitis B. He did a biopsy on my liver and it shows signs of scarred tissues. I had been taken the Empirvir and later switch to Hepsira due because Empirvir was not working anymore. I took Hepsira for less than 6months and that's no effective so the doctor stop that too. He said that he will monitor me closely from now on until my ALT goes high enough and then give me the Interferon shots. But until then, there's nothing he can do. So my question is, there's nothing that can lower my DNA level which is at 1-2 Million level? What are my options? Just waiting for my condition to get worse? Thanks.
Response from Dr. McGovern
It is reasonable to await pegylated interferon when your liver function tests become abnormal. This will clearly increase your chance of successful treatment.
Another possibility is trying to take entecavir, a potent drug for hepatitis B. However, your physician may not want to do this because you may have resistance to Epivir which may increase your chance of resistance developing to entecavir.
Other hepatitis B drugs are also being developed which are very promising as well.
In the meantime, do not drink alcohol or have very little alcohol. Dr. M
hepatitis c, repeat treatment for non-responder?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.