hepatitis c, repeat treatment for non-responder?

I have had Hep C for many years, have done the Peg Intron\Riboviron, 48 week treatment. It has been close to 3 years since treatment. My viral load was down to 19,224 from 98,557. As of 10-05 it is going up, now 49,432. Since I was "labeled" a non- responder, can the treatment be done again? Is there something better? I have all of the classic Hep c problems, my 2nd biopsy did show an increase in cirrhosis, but just slight. What do you think?

I would not necessarily label you as a "non-responder" if your viral load was that low. Perhaps you are a partial responder but never got down to a non-detectable level.

You may want to discuss with your hepatologist two possible strategies: 1. Treatment with consensus interferon, which has been studied in non-responders. This is a difficult to tolerate therapy and there are not a lot of data on this approach. 2. Staying on maintenance (low dose interferon) to try to decrease the chance of progression. This has not yet been a proven strategy. The study that is examining this has not been completed.

You and your physician will have to discuss the alternatives and come up with a decision that best suits you. Dr. M

End stage liver disease
Treatment options?