Post Treament Advice

I contracted Hep C/genotype 4 in December 2003 and have just completed 48 weeks of treatment. The virus is undetectable and my year of treatment went very well. I am a light drinker and have had a couple of units wine per week, during treatment. Since I hear mixed messages about this, I was wondering if that poses any risk post treatment? Can I carry on drinking a glass of wine, every now and then? My second question is how long will it take before all side effects are gone?

Congratulations on finishing your 48 week course of treatment. I would lay low on alcohol for two reasons: 1. Alcohol in any substantial amount depresses the immune system. 2. Alcohol in any subtantial amount increases scar formation.

What is a safe amount of alcohol to drink? If you are having just a couple of drinks a week, as it sounds like you are doing, I think that is safe. However, it is important to remember that there aren't great data in this regard.

Dr. M

Is there a Future
Risk for HepC or HIV