Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there a Future
Nov 6, 2005

Hi I was tested Hbsag positive in a medical examination. When I revealed the same to my fiancee, it resulted in breakage of my marriage. I have done the HBV Dna test which was neagtive, Hbeag test which was neagtive . SGPT was 38 and SGOT was 27. Please let me know if this is Chronic. Will I be able to live my normal life and get married and have kids without getting them infected.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would start by saying the following:

I would see an infectious disease expert who is well-versed in hepatitis or see a hepatologist. Go to the visit and get all the blood testing for hepatitis viruses, including hepatitis C. It is unclear to me that you have chronic hepatitis B unless this is redone and the surface antigen is confirmed.

If confirmed you may be an inactive carrier. Your fiance would need immunization for hepatitis B and then there would be no concerns regarding transmission to her. If she can't get the virus, then she can't pass it to children.

When you go back for your results, take your fiance with you. Education and counseling will go a long way.

Dr. M

Previous
Is PrevPac ok for people who have inactive hepatitis b?
Next
Post Treament Advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.