Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatisis B
Oct 31, 2005

I was wondering about more information on Hepatitis B. I was born with Hepatitis B by my birth mother in Korea. I was adopted at 6 years of age by two American parents. According to my adopted parents, I was treated for the Hepatitis B in Korea and the Hepatitis B was in remission. Also when I came to America, I had a check up done by my pediatrician and they said that my Hepatitis B was in remission and that I was fine. Im 22 and just had my first baby and during the pregnancy, I had lab worked done and the test showed that the Hepatitis was active and a lot of the virus is in my system. If I had not had a baby, I would have never know about my hepatitis being active. Since after the pregnancy I am seeing a liver doctor and I had a lot of lab worked done and an ultrasound of abdomen. The live doctor said that everything looked fine but they still want to do a liver biopsy. Is the biopsy necessary since all the tests showed that my liver is fine? Also how is my hepatitis B active now when it was in remission? According to my doctor, if the liver biopsy test shows that the hepatitis B is affecting my liver, then I am a candidate for treatment, but if the biopsy shows that the hepatitis B is not affecting my liver, then I will not be a candidate for the medication. I wondering how I was able to get my hepatitis in remission in Korea and now I have to be a candidate to get treated. He also stated that I have to see him every 6 months for blood work and an ultrasound. I have had hepatitis my whole life; was I suppose to see a liver doctor to get regular tests done from the day of birth?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is a very good question. The test used for HBV viral load was not sensitive enough to detect your level before. It is a relatively new test.15 years ago there was no real treatment for HBV anyway. Now there are many treatments and they are relatively easy. You are very young and have a lot to live for, your baby! The stakes here are very high because HBV can cause liver disease and liver cancer after 30 years or so. I would be in favor of a liver biopsy too, I recommend it for most of my patients. I would also be in favor of treating your HBV aggessively even if it has not damaged your liver yet, because you have a lot of years ahead of you and we need to plan for a long life for you! Good luck! DTD

Previous
PML Damage
Next
Stocrin does not exist in US pharmaceutical database True or False

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.