Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confusing lab results
Oct 29, 2005

Good day doc. Im 23 years old from the Philippines and I was really abashed when I found out that I am Hepa B reactive....I felt like Im not going to leave anymore and dying soon... I didnt know I have this sickness until I applied abroad coz I also never had any symptoms before. Only that, after taking medcine that my dr.game me, im already feeling that something is wrong with my lower stomach part...it hurts a bit... but not painful. I realy do not know how to interpret the following result of the hepa profile test. Please help me. Am I highly contagious? Please help me... please..

HBsAg: CutOff Value: 0.183 Patient's Count: 2.375 Result: Reactive

Anti-HBs: CutOff Value: 100 Patient's Count: 54 Result: Non-Reactive

Anti-HBc IgG: CutOff Value: 0.829 Patient's Count: 0.081 Result: Reactive

Anti HAV IgM: CutOff Value: 0.105 Patient's Count: 0.048 Result: Non-Reactive

HBe Antigen: CutOff Value: 0.183 Patient's Count: 0.482 Result: Reactive

Anti-HBe: CutOff Value: 0.660 Patient's Count: 2.287 Result: Non-Reactive

Thank you so much and I am hoping to hear from you Doc althought this is already my 3rd time to send a message. Pleasee......

Truly yours, Lemia

Response from Dr. McGovern

You have chronic hepatitis B infection. I suspect you also have detectable virus because your e antigen is positive.

I would discuss with your doctor a DNA level which will tell you how much virus is in your blood.

It is possible that you got hepatitis B at birth from your mother if she was chronically infected. Hepatitis B infection is extremely common in your country so this is certainly possible, particularly if your have no other risk factors.

If this is the case, you also need to check liver enzymes (ALT, AST); if these are elevated then you may need treatment; if not you need follow-up only for now. Dr. McGovern

Previous
Whats the liver status
Next
Which labs to be drawn

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.