Hep A&B vaccination

Hi Dr. I have a few questions regarding vaccination of Hep A&B.

A couple of days ago I rec'd round one of the Hep A&B (Twinrix)vaccination however my Dr. did not do a Hep A&B test on me to determine whether or not I have the virus or have antibodies.

I'm confused because of contradicting information I'm getting from peers re: testing prior to vaccination

Should I have been screened first?

I had a child 3 years ago and had been screened by my OB and nothing ever came back derogatory. So am I to assume I never had or caught Hep A or B and had no immunities? What is the next step for me? Should I have testing?

One more thing...I am recently separated from my spouse and have began dating now. I am very cautious and responsible when it comes to safe sex and HIV and STDs however now I'm paranoid about HepB and kissing. I've done lots of that recently with one man that I just met 2 days before I got vaccinated. Do I need to worry? I asked him about it and he's never been tested or vaccinated. I've also read that If I get vaccinated with HepB Vaccine within 14 days of "potential or unknown" exposure that I am safe. Can you confirm any of this info? Many thanks...Kate

If you were negative for hepatitis B three years ago and did not have any significant exposures since (sexual intercourse with someone with chronic hepatitis B, drug use, etc) then I do not think there is a need for screening first.

Hepatitis B is present in saliva but transmission via this route has never been proven.

Dr. M

please interpret
when can you tell?