Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

some questions, confusions
Oct 15, 2005

Hello Doctor McGovern,

Im a 23 year-old male from the Philippines. Last August I was diagnosed to have a Hepatitis B. I think i got it from an exposure a year ago. My Doctor told me that he wont give me any medicine because i dont feel anything, he just said that hes going to see my medical exam again after 6 months (that will be next year), and were going to wait for my body to produce anti-bodies.

Is my Doctor's decision right? or do i have to consult another for a second opinion now that 2 weeks ago i started to feel very little spasms and pain in the upper right quadrant of my stomach. please i want your comments on these.

here is my medical exam result last august:

cut-off value:patient value HBsAg 0.072:0.377 (-), HBsAb 0020:0.012 (-), HBc Ab IgG 1.063:1.330 (-), HBc Ab IgM 0.070:0.001 (-), HBe Ab 1.150:1.361 (-), HBe Ag 0.649:0.350 (-), SGOT/AST 25 (in range, w/ ref values 0-40 IU/L), SGPT/ALT 32 (in range, w/ 0-38 IU/L)

based on this do i really have a chronic hepa-b? am i infectious or non-infectious? what do you suggest for me to do this time.

thanks in advance. this is the 4th time im writing to the forum (the 3 mails were not answered).

thanks again.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am sorry you have tried to hard to get an answer from the forum.

It appears that you have hepatitis B surface antigen but are HBeAntibody positive. I would recommend checking hepatitis B DNA level to see if you have any virus in your body. If not, then you have probably seroconverted and may be on your way to clearance.

Since we do not have prior labs on you, we must not assume you have chronic disease since you need to have a six month follow-up to determine if you have chronic infection or not. As you said, it is possible you recently got infected and are in the process of clearing.

Dr. McG

Previous
hep c
Next
Can i marry with Hep B?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.