genotype 1A

My name is Vickie. I am 45yrs. old. I recentely found out my genotype is 1A. I need to know what this is,what it means. For me I have no liver damage. i would like to know my chances of recovery on pegytron treatment.Ilook forward to hearing your responce. Thank You.

You have hepatitis C infection with one of 6 genotypes - genotype 1A. Genotype 1 is less responsive to treatment than genotypes 2 or 3. However, for any individual patient, I think that if your physician thinks you need treatment based on a liver biopsy, then you should certainly proceed. You have more than at 50 percent chance of responding, particularly if your viral load is less than 800,000 IU/mL.

Most doctors will treat for about 12 weeks and then see if you virus level has decreased signficantly enough that it is worth pushing on. If your viral level hasn't budged by then, you will probably not respond. On the other hand, if your virus level goes down nicely, then your chances are much higher and then you will be encouraged to continue on.

Dr. McGovern

Pegasys+riba and Alcohol
upper right quadrant abdomen - liver