Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. DIETRICH - 10th time - please ANSWER A MED STUDENT - IRRESPONSIBLE BLOOD EXPOSURE
Oct 3, 2005

Dear Doctor,

I wake up every day and anticipate your answer. This is my 10th time but I still hope that one day I will be lucky enough to find my question in your "answering list".

I'll make the story short.

I watched a prostitute masturbate and put my thumb into her vagina. When I took it out I saw a little bloody substance on my thumb. After a couple of minutes (perhaps 4 or 5) I went to the bathroom and put some water on my thumb (I did not use soap however). She was not having her period and said that it was some light spotting probably.

Fear no 1. Since I'm a nailbitter and my fingers and nails get a bit rough sometimes, could I have gotten hcv or hiv (I had a hpb vax) even though I did not see any open wounds or cuts on my thumb?

Fear no 2. After I got home (after 15 minutes) I heavily cut my other finger (the one I was using to wash my thumb) with a doorkey. It was bleeding heavily. Could some tiny traces of blood on the surface of the finger (if there were any after the washing) give my hiv or hcv this way?

Please help my understand this becase this fear is so overwhelming.

Med student from Germany.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I think I answered this already. Forget it! Those are not risky behaviors! You should use your nervous energy to get yourself vaccinated for hepatitis A and B if you are not already immune. You have more risk in the hospital every day. Study hard and find a girlfriend! DTD

Previous
Hep B risk to baby?
Next
chronic hepatitis B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.