Dr. DIETRICH - 10th time - please ANSWER A MED STUDENT - IRRESPONSIBLE BLOOD EXPOSURE

Dear Doctor,

I wake up every day and anticipate your answer. This is my 10th time but I still hope that one day I will be lucky enough to find my question in your "answering list".

I'll make the story short.

I watched a prostitute masturbate and put my thumb into her vagina. When I took it out I saw a little bloody substance on my thumb. After a couple of minutes (perhaps 4 or 5) I went to the bathroom and put some water on my thumb (I did not use soap however). She was not having her period and said that it was some light spotting probably.

Fear no 1. Since I'm a nailbitter and my fingers and nails get a bit rough sometimes, could I have gotten hcv or hiv (I had a hpb vax) even though I did not see any open wounds or cuts on my thumb?

Fear no 2. After I got home (after 15 minutes) I heavily cut my other finger (the one I was using to wash my thumb) with a doorkey. It was bleeding heavily. Could some tiny traces of blood on the surface of the finger (if there were any after the washing) give my hiv or hcv this way?

Please help my understand this becase this fear is so overwhelming.

Med student from Germany.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I think I answered this already. Forget it! Those are not risky behaviors! You should use your nervous energy to get yourself vaccinated for hepatitis A and B if you are not already immune. You have more risk in the hospital every day. Study hard and find a girlfriend! DTD

Hep B risk to baby?
chronic hepatitis B