Blood in ejaculate, and possible ERROR in a previous answer

In a previous answer stated below...Did you mean if there is "NO" blood involved. This seems like a significant omission. My boyfriend has HIV and HCV he has had blood in his ejaculate, and I'm really concerned about it.

I read that you wrote:

Sexual transmission of HCV is very rare, although more common in the presence of HIV. Heterosexual vaginal intercourse represents a low risk of transmission of HCV as long as there is blood involved. By the way you don't need a liver biopsy to get treated for HCV. You are doing so well now with HIV consider the pegylated interferon and ribavirin this year and you can possibly cure the HCV and not have to worry about it! Good luck! DTD

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good point! That is a very important one. Blood in the ejaculate is pretty unusual and if it happens more than once or twice, should be followed up. Your boyfriend should see a urologist and you should be using condoms anyway because of the HIV! DTD

hepatitis
Lifespan HCV