Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

follow up ..Good day
Sep 25, 2005

Hi Dr Barbara

Thank you so much for your kind assistance,

I started taking zeffix tablets since last March . A dna quant. test made for me two months and the result was undedactable !still taking the tablets. My question is how long i will be taking it again ?. and is there any side effect of using this medicin for long periods ?

Thanks again and wish you a good day

Hi Dr Barbara

Sorry to bother you again but i am in deep trouble !!

As i have mentioned in my below last message that the doctor put me in zeffix because of my DNA level reading on the 22/02/05 (more than 85000 c/ml...but i have made onother dna test just before i start the zeffix on the 22/03/05 ..the result just came back and my readin level is 5000 c/ml !! is this possible in one month without treatment!!!?

What i shall do now stop the zeffix as it is no usfull with such low level??

I am so confused ..please help me with your opinio.

Regards,

Dr: Barbara 45 years old , Male , Chronic HEP B .The doctor decided to put me on Zeffix .He blieves that there will be a responce and the reason is for the treatment is my HBV DNA level >10000 IU/ML.I have started Zeffix with the vaccination of A&B HBV and the reason from the doctor to use the vaccination is to help my amune system and Zeffix treatment to deal with the virus.Shall I continue ? and if there is no responce and i stop taking the therapy shall my virus come back worse than it is now ?

1-test in 1996 showed HbsAg: Positive, HbeAg: Negative, Anti HBC total positive, Anti HBC IGM: Negative, Anti HBE: Positive, Anti HBS: Negative. Anti HCV total: Negative. With normal LFT test. 2- Abdomen ultra sound is NORMAL. 3-AFP TEST=1.38 (REF- 00-5.8) - HBV-DNA (qualitative) using COBAS TAQMAN HBV KIT IS POSITIVE.

-HBV-DNA (quantative) using COBAS TAQMAN HBV KIT IS POSITIVE and showed the following results:

A- 14693 IU/ML (Moderate Viraemna). B-85219 C/ML . C-4.17 Log IU/ML . D- Sens.threshold:6 IU/ML LFT's Results : ALP2S=79 U/L Albumin = 4.8 g/dl

Bilirubin Direct= 0.1 mg/dl

Bilirubin Total= 0.61 mg/dl

Gamma GT = 28 U/L

SGOT= 16 U/L

SGPT =24 U/L

Total Protein= 7.51 g/dl

Alk.Phos.=85 U/L Trigl=136 mg/dl

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is very interesting that your virus level has come down so dramatically even before treatment.

Hepatitis B activity can fluctuate significantly, and there is a small percentage of patients who will automatically clear virus on their own each year.

I personally would choose to continue treatment and I suspect your chances of doing well are extremely high since your immune system seems to be doing a great job.

Dr. McGovern

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am so glad your hepatitis B virus is suppressed on Zeffix (Lamivudine; Epivir). However, I cannot tell you how long you will need to be on drug. You will need to ask your doctor if you have hepatitis B e antigen positive or e antigen negative infection. That will be important in determining length of treatment. The drug is well-tolerated. The only thing I would be concerned about with long-term treatment is the emergence of resistance.

Dr. M

Previous
getiing pregnant with hpv?
Next
HBeAG Pos, then Neg.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.