Can a HBV non-active carrier be treated?

Dear Dr Barbara:

I can see how many letters you replied recently and I really feel very much to have to bother you again. However, I want to put a question to you that I think was never asked before. As a matter of fact, I asked this question to Dieterich, but he has not answer me yet, maybe due to his other duties. I would like to know if it's possible (or advisable)for a HBV non-active carrier to be treated so that he/she can get rid of HBV completely from his/her body (HBsAg negative). If affirmative, which kind of medicine. Thank you. Frank

I would not treat an inactive carrier with the knowledge we have at this time.

You certainly need follow up to be certain that you do not become an active carrier in the future.

Dr. M

steatohepatitis
Antigen positive to Non-reactive