high dose of interferon

Dear Doctor? I have HIV/HPC co-infection my cd4 are around 200 and 3 years ago biopsie show a liver cirrhosis i have taken pegasys and riv for one year althoug vl went down to logs it didn't become undetectable , later on my doctor put me in peg intron and riv as the result was poor he decided to rise dose , i am taking peg intron 160 a week + 1200 riv, my viral load is of 200.000 copies , but i feel to scare of taking such a high dose, i would be grateful to have your opinion on this matter. what is the dose for maintenance therapy? best rgs

Your doctor is probably very proficient in the treatment of hepatitis C and is trying to get you to a non-detectable viral load.

I am not using higher doses personally, but am trying to treat longer in some select patients.

Another option is maintenance treatment for patients who get down to non-detectable levels but relapse when treatment is stopped. THe dose for maintenance therapy is Pegasys 90 ugm weekly; however remember this has not been studied in HIV patients per se.

Unfortunately, there are no trials to tell us which approach is best so there is nothing I can firmly recommend. Certainly close followup is important no matter what you and your doctor decide is best.

Dr. M

pain on liver
Hep b and Oral Sex