Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high dose of interferon
Sep 25, 2005

Dear Doctor? I have HIV/HPC co-infection my cd4 are around 200 and 3 years ago biopsie show a liver cirrhosis i have taken pegasys and riv for one year althoug vl went down to logs it didn't become undetectable , later on my doctor put me in peg intron and riv as the result was poor he decided to rise dose , i am taking peg intron 160 a week + 1200 riv, my viral load is of 200.000 copies , but i feel to scare of taking such a high dose, i would be grateful to have your opinion on this matter. what is the dose for maintenance therapy? best rgs

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your doctor is probably very proficient in the treatment of hepatitis C and is trying to get you to a non-detectable viral load.

I am not using higher doses personally, but am trying to treat longer in some select patients.

Another option is maintenance treatment for patients who get down to non-detectable levels but relapse when treatment is stopped. THe dose for maintenance therapy is Pegasys 90 ugm weekly; however remember this has not been studied in HIV patients per se.

Unfortunately, there are no trials to tell us which approach is best so there is nothing I can firmly recommend. Certainly close followup is important no matter what you and your doctor decide is best.

Dr. M

Previous
pain on liver
Next
Hep b and Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.