Is it possible to diagnose when Hepatitis b infection occured?

Dear Dr. Mcgovern,

Thank you in Advance for answering my questions in regards to Hepatitis b.

I am 28 years old male, and have been recently diagnosed as having Hepatitis b in July 15, 2005. I had all the symptoms, including, loss of apettide, nausia, itchy hives, and pain in the right upper quadrant, and loose pale bowel movement about a year ago. I have always been healthy all my life, and my question is, is it possible that I have had hepatitis b in childhood and the symptoms occurred at this point of in my life because of a Hepatitis b flare? Or was it because of an acute hepatitis b infection that I acquired, which later progressed to chronice hepatitis b?

Is it possible to have had chronic Hepatitis b infection in childhood and later get the majority of symptoms later in life at age 28?

The Dr. I am seeing, diagnosed my status as chronic Hepatitis b and these are the test results. Based on these blood test results, should I seek treatment and what category of Chronic hepatitis b do I belong to?

Active chronic hepatitis b

or

Inactive chronic hepatitis b

HBS Ag Positive

Anti-HBC, IGM Negative

Hepatitis Be Antigen Negative

Hepatitis Be Antibody Positive

Hepatitis B Qauantative DNA is at 6260 copies/ml

liver profile test results

alkaline Phosphatase 51 40- 120 normal

AST 14 3-45 normal

ALT 13 3-45 normal

My ultrasound test came as abdominal sonography within normal limits and perfect.

My Dr. told me that I do not need treatment at this point and to make an appoint in 6 months.

It is certainly possible for chronic hepatitis B to become active over time after a period of being inactive.

I agree that you are a chronic carrier with a low level of virus in your blood.

I also agree that I would not treat you at this time. However, you will need further follow-up because this decision could change depending on the results of blood tests. Your physician will discuss this with your further.

hepsera failed...
dosage for lamivudine