A message to the Worried Well

Hi im a 24 year old male from the UK, i recently went for a routine blood test and everything was normal except my ALT which was 61, i didnt think too much of it until i looked it up on the Internet, big mistake! I then convinced my self of Hepatitis, i had three repeat tests , all came back higher. I got my self worked up by looking up on the internet and reading stories and facts, in the end i was being horrible to the people i love, and decided to get tested. The tests came back Negative. What a relief. i guess what im saying is Please, please, plaese it is true what the Doctors say that Symptoms dont equal the worst! so please dont go hunting around the Internet, for for the love of God all you will find is the Wrong answers, talk to your doctor and Get tested. Knowledge truly is power.

Good luck and god bless you all.

p.s Dont know what the cause is yet, but My doctor is looking into it. Who knows might be down to stress!!

I agree that it is always best to talk with your physician first about all of these issues. People often get worried about diseases or infections they do not have. We only hope to give helpful information that should then be discussed with the physician who knows the patient best. There is a limit to what we can accomplish by not taking a history and physical examination. We can only educate.

As for your liver tests, if they remain abnormal, I would discuss with your doctor as to whether a liver biopsy may be in order. One of the most common causes of abnormal liver tests is fatty liver and medications, including over the counter meds. (Another educational point!)

Dr. McGovern

afraid and confused HBV
Risk of HBV, HCV infection ?