afraid and confused HBV

Hi Dr. McGovern, Im a 23-year old guy from the Philippines. I have a very promising job and a happy life when suddenly i learned that im infected with HBV. (now i feel sick and im so depressed).I think i got it from a one-night stand with a woman 1 or 2 years ago. Actually this is my 2nd email (the first one was not answered). my question is to know whether im an active or inactive carrier. And also i want to ask your 2nd opinion (interpretation) of my test results. here it is (cut-off=co,patient=p): HIV I & II=NON REACTIVE, HBsAg co=0.072 p=.377 positive,HBsAb co=0.020 p=0.012 negative,HBc Ab IgG co=1.063 p=1.330 negative, HBc Ab IgM co=0.070 p=0.001 negative, HBe Ab co=1.150 p=1.361 negative, HbeAg co=0.649 p=0.350 negative, SGOT/AST 25 (in range) ref. value 0-40 IU/L, SGPT/ALT 32 (in range) ref. value 0-38 IU/L. What should i do with these results? My Doctor advised me that well do nothing but wait for my body to produce anti-bodies. is that a right decision? do i still need medication considering that my AST and ALT test were normal? Please i beg for your suggestions. Please please answer me this time. Thanks. Mabuhay ka! (Long Live).

It appears that you are chronic carrier due to your positive surface antigen. You are also e antigen negative. What is needed now is a hepatitis B DNA to see if you have virus in your blood. However, I suspect this will be negative since your liver function tests are unremarkable. If the DNA is negative then you are a chronic carrier. You will still need follow-up to see if you may lose surface antigen (clearance) or if your infection becomes active again.

HBV DNA Negative HbsAg positive
A message to the Worried Well