scared and confused

HIV positive (undetectable for 5 years on meds) also HCV treated for one year, relapsed and retreated for 10 months. Had to cut treatment short due to heart surgery. When on treatment, am HCV undetectable. However, HCV is back, Genotype 1a. Off meds for 6 months now. Just had a biopsy. I am scared and confused. Which way do I turn? Do I retreat with Infergen, low dose maintenance, or nothing??? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

There are no clear cut answers here due to lacking study/clinical trial information. However I will say the following:

1. The treatment which suppressed your virus most likely helped slow down the inflammation in your liver, which hopefully will slow down scarring.

2. It is reasonable to discuss low dose maintenance therapy with your doctor since you have a good response to treatment - it is just that off treatment your virus comes back.

3. There are no trials of this approach in HIV patients, so this will require careful discussion between you and your liver specialist weighing risks and benefits individual to your particular case.

Dr. McGovern

liver cancer
Need any treatment or not ??