|scared and confused
Sep 25, 2005
HIV positive (undetectable for 5 years on meds) also HCV treated for one year, relapsed and retreated for 10 months. Had to cut treatment short due to heart surgery. When on treatment, am HCV undetectable. However, HCV is back, Genotype 1a. Off meds for 6 months now. Just had a biopsy. I am scared and confused. Which way do I turn? Do I retreat with Infergen, low dose maintenance, or nothing??? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
There are no clear cut answers here due to lacking study/clinical trial information. However I will say the following:
1. The treatment which suppressed your virus most likely helped slow down the inflammation in your liver, which hopefully will slow down scarring.
2. It is reasonable to discuss low dose maintenance therapy with your doctor since you have a good response to treatment - it is just that off treatment your virus comes back.
3. There are no trials of this approach in HIV patients, so this will require careful discussion between you and your liver specialist weighing risks and benefits individual to your particular case.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Get Hiv From Fingering With A Scab?
- My Hiv Viral Load Is Zero Do I Still Need To Take Meds
- What Are Chances Of Getting Hiv If You Sleep With An Infected Person?
- What Do The Patches In Your Mouth Look Like When You Have Hiv?
- What Percent Is The Chance Of Getting Hep C From Razors?
- Why Is Hiv Hard To Transmit?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.