scared and confused
Sep 25, 2005
HIV positive (undetectable for 5 years on meds) also HCV treated for one year, relapsed and retreated for 10 months. Had to cut treatment short due to heart surgery. When on treatment, am HCV undetectable. However, HCV is back, Genotype 1a. Off meds for 6 months now. Just had a biopsy. I am scared and confused. Which way do I turn? Do I retreat with Infergen, low dose maintenance, or nothing??? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Response from Dr. McGovern
There are no clear cut answers here due to lacking study/clinical trial information. However I will say the following:
1. The treatment which suppressed your virus most likely helped slow down the inflammation in your liver, which hopefully will slow down scarring.
2. It is reasonable to discuss low dose maintenance therapy with your doctor since you have a good response to treatment - it is just that off treatment your virus comes back.
3. There are no trials of this approach in HIV patients, so this will require careful discussion between you and your liver specialist weighing risks and benefits individual to your particular case.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Do Dental Dams Protect From Hiv And Stds?
- Hormones And Peripheral Neuropathy
- People From Which Age Group Are More Likely To Suffer From Opportunistic Infections
- If I Have Aids Or Hiv What Would Show Up Abnormal In Blood Tests?
- Why Do I Keep Getting Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Pathogen Causes Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.