Hepatitis B Liver ultrasound

Dear Dr McGovern,

I'm 41 years old male, tested hepatitis B positive 10 years ago (chronic). I don't know how and when I got the infection. My latest lab test and liver ultrasound was on January 2005. The results are: HBsAg cov (cut-off value) .050 (patient's absorbance) pa .967-REACTIVE, HBeAg cov .054 pa .143-REACTIVE, Anti-HBc-Total cov .696 pa .020-REACTIVE, Anti-Hbe cov .569 pa .362-REACTIVE. My SGOT(ASAT)is 47, Ref. value is 0-40 u/l, SGPT(ALAT)is 53, ref. value is up to 38 IU/L. I'm taking silymarin and never under any medication. My questions; Is this severe? I want to go under medication with the new drug (entecavir) you always mention to get rid of this infection. What is the chance?

Ultrasound of the liver: The liver is normal in size with reticular echopattern. There are no dilated intrahepatic ducts. No focal lesion noted. Doctor's impression is RETICULAR LIVER PARENCHYAL DISEASE. What is this? Can you explain?

I just lost my new job and so depressed. Can you help me please? Thank you.

From your laboratories it appears you have chronic hepatitis B e antigen positive infection. However, I don't know the level of your virus in your blood (HBV DNA) which is important since your liver function tests are quite low. Ultrasounds tell us little in terms of actual disease - a biopsy is much more helpful.

I would speak with your physician regarding a HBV DNA test and then consider a biopsy and treatment. Also let your physician know that you are discouraged. There are many options for hepatitis B now so I think you will do well.

Dr. McGovern

Vaccinated and want to have a baby
Heb B Blood Test - Adoption