Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV SPECIAL QUESTIONS
Mar 28, 2001

Dear Doctor, I was read the forum regarding Hepatitis b,here i have a few questions.and i can`t found such answers of these topics, my girlfriend was checked for her HepatitisB antibody and the result are negative(naturally) showed in her report last year,so she unnecessary to take the 3 vaccine "shot",said by the Doctor last year. and nowaday she share the foods with her sister [a HBV carrier]...and my questions is,doesn`t she need to take any test for HBV antigen for the whole life since last year she took once?

2) although she had the naturally antibody for HBV does it mean she also have antibody for HCV?

3) how long the antibody remains in her body?(whole life?) can her sister pass the virus to her by sharing the foods and than she pass to me like kissing ?

4) (my HBV antibody & antigen was non-reactive),and i was take the first shot last month. how long should i must prevent the virus ,after completed the 3 shots?

5) i saw the poster in the hospital that said that the new "1 shot" vaccination is available now,really?

6) my 2 brothers also a HBV carrier,can them drink wheat grass juices?

7) i was read some topics in hepatitis forum that some answers was that the virus can be cleared by itself,does it can be happened?how one person virus can be cleared by itself?

8) how about the accurate of HIV elisa test for 13 weeks after last exposured?

Thank you for your kindness to answer these questions and also thank for your time.

Best Regards.

J.J

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Dear J.J.;If your girlfriend had no hep B surface antibody ,this means that she did not have inmmunity against a B infection.She needed the vaccine to be protected.She cannot get the disease from sharing food.The hepatitis B is only transmitted by sex or by blood as by sharing needles.The 3 shot vaccine, is very effective and induce adequate levels of antibodies can last for many years. The majority of people that is infected with HBV, clear the virus(up to 97% of all cases).Only the remaining 3% minority cannot clear the virus, and develop chronic hepatitis or a carrier state. Hepatitis B inmmunity by vaccine or after clearing the virus after infection offers no defence for HCV.HCV is a different virus, and is only cleared by aprox. 20% of all infected patients. There is no vaccine for HCV.

Previous
Hep C and homosexual relationship
Next
Hep C

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.