Reticular Liver Parenchyal Disease

Dear Dr. Dieterich,

I'm 41 years old Asian male infected with hepatitis B virus for more than 10 years now. I don't know how and when I got it. My latest blood test and ultrasound of the liver was on January 2005. Here are the results: HBsAg cut-off value (cov) 0.050, patient's absorbance (pa) 0.967, REACTIVE / HBeAg - cov 0.054, pa 0.143, REACTIVE / Anti-HBc-Total cov 0.696, pa 0.020, REACTIVE / Anti-Hbe cov 0.569, pa 0.362, REACTIVE / SGOT(ASAT) 47, ref value 0-40 u/l / SGPT(ALAT) 53, ref value is up to 38 IU/L. Do I have severe infection? I'm taking silymarin capsule and never under any medication. I want to try entecavir. Is that okay?

My ultrasound of the liver result is 'The liver is normal in size with reticular echopattern. There are no dilated intrahepatic ducts. No focal lesion noted.' The doctor's impression: RETICULAR LIVER PARENCHYMAL DISEASE. What is this?

I'm so worried! Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't think ultrasound is really an issue. Does not mean much. I would need to know what your HBVDNA level is before making a recommendation. A liver biopsy is also worth considering but only after DNA level. Ask your MD for that. Entecavir is a good drug and is part of the HBV treatment armamentarium, but I don't have enough information to recommend it yet! DTD

baraclude (entecavir)
neupogen and hep c treatment