|considering interfuron treatment
Aug 6, 2005
i am hiv pos and have hep c. my liver functions are only slightly elevated and i was wondering first should i have a biopsy to check for how much damage the liver has. second does this treatment have any negative results on the immune system. what we be a good source of research for hiv patients who went through interfuron and what type of results they have had thanx lou
| Response from Dr. McGovern
1. I would have a liver biopsy to see if you have any liver damage. You can't tell by blood tests alone. 2. If you need treatment, I would pursue it. The major treatment trials did not show any adverse effects on HIV control. The treatment does lower CD4 counts but has no effect on CD4 percentages, which are much more reliable to follow while on interferon. 3. The largest trial to be done was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in July of 2004.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Is Someone Notified That They Tested Hiv Positive?
- Low White Blood Cell Count In Hiv Person
- Acid Reflux And Hiv
- Chances Of Hiv After One Vaginal Encounter
- Should You Get Tested Again For Hiv If Your First Test Come Back Negative?
- What Does It Mean When People Get Thrush On Their Tongue?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.