CD4 big drop on HCV meds

After 3 weeks on Ribavirin and Peg Interferon my CD4 dropped from almost 900 to 568! Still the hiv viral load is <50. Whats the info you have on dropping cd4 while on HCV meds? Could they drop even lower?

Thanks Claudio

Not to worry!

I always tell my patients prior to starting HCV therapy that we will no longer be talking about T cell counts - but alternatively we will focus on T cell (CD4) percentages.

The reasons are complex due to the way testing is done. However, simply put, the treatment for HCV depresses your entire white cell count. T cells are part of that count. However, if you look at your CD4 or T cell percentage - I am sure yours is the same before and after treatment. That's all that you should care about right now. And your HIV RNA is not detectable. Good job!

Dr. McGovern

hepa b vaccine
Clinical trial