The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep b question
Aug 5, 2005

My test result:

HBS AG = positive HEP BS AB = negative HEP B CORE AB = positive HBE AB = positive HEP Be AG = negative TBIL = 1.02 AST = 27 (ref. 15-37 units/L) ALT = 49 (ref. 30-65 units/L) ALK PHOS = 83 (ref. 50-136 units/L)

HBV DNA QIANT = 4752 copies/ml HEP B VIR DNA = 2390 IU/ML

Why the ALT reference range from the lab report is 30-60, instead of the upper limit of 40? Is my ALT lever high? My doctor told me to do liver biopsy, as my liver function is abnormal, and DNA is from 379 copies/ml last year to 4752 this year. Is it necessary to do a liver biopsy based on my result? My family members took vaccine, do they need to check whether they have HEP BS AB positive?

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You have evidence of HBeAntigen negative infection with virus in your blood. However, your liver function tests are normal and the amount of virus in your blood is low.

Right now, I would not treat you. However, that decision would change if your liver function tests became abnormal.

As for a liver biopsy, your physician might want a baseline to compare future biopsies to. Also he or she may want to rule out advanced liver disease that may be unsuspected. I would discuss the rationale for the procedure with your physician who may have specific concerns.

As for your family members, I usually do check a hepatitis B surface antibody to be certain that no additional doses of vaccine are needed.

Dr. McGovern

Cunnilingus & Hep B: Am I going to Die!!!!
Hep B Risk from blister on hand

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint