Your opinion

I have been told by many HIV experts lately that those who are HIV positive can now expect an almost full lifespan with proper lifestyle and adherance to meds. I was wondering if this could also be said about those who are HIV/HCV coinfected. Is it possible with a healthy lifestyle, and medication, not to mention new meds on the way, that those who are coinfected can also live a close to normal lifespan?

I would agree. There are some studies to suggest that progression of liver disease in HIV infected patients is slower in the era of HAART than it was before these medications were available.

We are also learning more about interferon and ribavirin and how we might better treat patients with coinfection.

There are also newer drugs in the pipeline which will hopefully be available to us in the next few years.

Dr. McGovern

Hepatitis C and sex
How long will Live with HB