CT scan of the abdomen

Dear Dr. McGovern,

Thanks a lot for answering my previous question about fast growth in viral load. I recently complained to my primary physician about stomach pain, he did an abdominal ultrasound and found enlarged lymph nodes in retro-peritoneum. Now he wants me to do a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. I have several questions: 1. Is it safe to do that when you have hepatitis C? 2. Can high radiation trigger liver cancer or cause virus mutation, so it will be more difficult to treat the disease in the future even with new drugs? 3. Are these enlarged nodes typical for hepatitis C? I am a 48-year-old male and my viral count is 23,000,000. My liver biopsy showed grade 1 activity, stage 1 fibrosis, stage 0 steatosis three years ago.

Thank you very much for your continuous help.

I would follow the advice of your physician and get the CT scans soon. I would not expect lymph nodes related to your hepatitis. The CT scan does not put you at risk; however the CT scan is extremely important in determining more information about these nodes. Dr. McGovern

Accuracy of Liver Biopsy _ Please help
pls give me some idea about this