Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CT scan of the abdomen
Jul 30, 2005

Dear Dr. McGovern,

Thanks a lot for answering my previous question about fast growth in viral load. I recently complained to my primary physician about stomach pain, he did an abdominal ultrasound and found enlarged lymph nodes in retro-peritoneum. Now he wants me to do a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. I have several questions: 1. Is it safe to do that when you have hepatitis C? 2. Can high radiation trigger liver cancer or cause virus mutation, so it will be more difficult to treat the disease in the future even with new drugs? 3. Are these enlarged nodes typical for hepatitis C? I am a 48-year-old male and my viral count is 23,000,000. My liver biopsy showed grade 1 activity, stage 1 fibrosis, stage 0 steatosis three years ago.

Thank you very much for your continuous help.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would follow the advice of your physician and get the CT scans soon. I would not expect lymph nodes related to your hepatitis. The CT scan does not put you at risk; however the CT scan is extremely important in determining more information about these nodes. Dr. McGovern

Previous
Accuracy of Liver Biopsy _ Please help
Next
pls give me some idea about this

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.