Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Accuracy of Liver Biopsy _ Please help
Jul 30, 2005

Dear Doctor,

I have chronic Hep B. Liver Biopsy showed that I have Fibrosis stage2, Inflammation Grade1. The doctor said that they inspected two slides. The first slide showed fibrosis stage1 and the second slide showed fibrosis stage2. The doctor also said that the sample size was good.

Is there a possibility that the sample taken for my liver biopsy was from relatively good part of my liver? I am concerned about the variation in such a small sample size. How accurate is the liver biopsy?

I really appreciate your valuable feedback.

Response from Dr. McGovern

When evaluating a liver biopsy there are a few things to keep in mind: 1. It is important for the pathologist to see if your biopsy sample was "adequate". Adequacy is determined by the number of "portal tracts" that are seen. It sounds from your description that your doctor was happy with the size of the sample. 2. There was some variation between the two readings; however stage 1 and stage 2 are at least in the same territory of disease. I would be much more concerned if you told me the results were highly discordant (ie stage 1 and stage 4). 3. Although we say the liver biopsy is the gold standard, it is clear from studies that this procedure is still limited in some ways for the reason you state - the sample is still quite small relative to the size of the organ. So there can be sampling error. 4. However, there is no good substitute right now, particularly for hepatitis B infection where other non-invasive markers have not been studied well.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
inactive
Next
CT scan of the abdomen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.