Hep B History

Hi Good Day Since 1992, I was first tested for Hep B. This year 2005, my doctor advices me to have a HBV DNA. The result for Hybrid II is <140,000 copies/ml (not detectable within range). For almost 13 years, why it is the virus is not high which i would expect in the test? Is my liver function deteriorating with 199 ALT.

I assume you are saying that you are a chronic carrier of hepatitis B but have no detectable virus with elevated liver function tests. Therefore your disease may be inactive.

There are other possible reasons for your abnormal liver function tests. There are other liver diseases like steatohepatitis (NASH) related to fatty liver and hemochromatosis related to iron overload and drug injury and many others....

I would suggest that you need consultation with a hepatologist, a work-up of other causes of liver disease, and a liver biopsy.

Dr. McGovern

Hep C risk?
inactive