biopsy

HIV positive, on antiretrovirals for 5 years. Remain undetectable. However, went through treatment twice with pegylated interferon and ribavirin. Undetectable on treatment, but relapsed as soon as treatment was stopped. Have to go for another liver biopsy. My question is, is it possible that the biopsy might look a little better due to the treatment I had for two years, even in the presence of HIV?

I think the chance your liver biopsy looks better is very high.

First of all, in patients with HCV alone and in patients with HIV/HCV coinfection, treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin has been shown to improve the liver histology in a significant proportion of patients even when they don't have a virologic response.

You had a virologic response- but you relapsed off treatment. Your chance of having a healthier liver is even higher than those who did not have suppression of their virus.

What we don't know, is whether low dose "maintenance" therapy may be a good idea for patients like you. That is the million dollar question that only research can answer.

Good luck! Dr. McGovern

Adoption - HBcAb positive
Hep C risk?