Hope for those with HIV/HCV co-infection?

I have been told by many HIV experts lately that those who are HIV positive can now expect an almost full lifespan with proper lifestyle and adherance to meds. I was wondering if this could also be said about those who are HIV/HCV co-infected. Is it possible with a healthy lifestyle, and medication, not to mention new meds on the way, that those who are co-infected can also live a close to normal lifespan? Also on a personal note, I was last tested for HCV at about 9 weeks post exposure. The girl I was exposed to was also tested at this time. They were both negative results (non-reactive to all forms of hepatitis), but my symptoms have me worried. Thank you for your reply. Keep up the good work!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question. HIV lifespan is almost normal in the developed world with good treatment. HCV treatment is also very successful, curing at least 40% of HIV + persons treated. We don't have lifespan data yet for HCV, but indeed lots of good things happening. HOWEVER, that does not mean that you should abandon safe sex as so many people have done lately. If you tested negative for all hepatitis markers, then you and your girlfriend should get vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B ASAP! Stay safe! DTD

Apparant inconistency of opinion between experts on forum
Oral sex and hep c transmission.