Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hope for those with HIV/HCV co-infection?
Jul 27, 2005

I have been told by many HIV experts lately that those who are HIV positive can now expect an almost full lifespan with proper lifestyle and adherance to meds. I was wondering if this could also be said about those who are HIV/HCV co-infected. Is it possible with a healthy lifestyle, and medication, not to mention new meds on the way, that those who are co-infected can also live a close to normal lifespan? Also on a personal note, I was last tested for HCV at about 9 weeks post exposure. The girl I was exposed to was also tested at this time. They were both negative results (non-reactive to all forms of hepatitis), but my symptoms have me worried. Thank you for your reply. Keep up the good work!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question. HIV lifespan is almost normal in the developed world with good treatment. HCV treatment is also very successful, curing at least 40% of HIV + persons treated. We don't have lifespan data yet for HCV, but indeed lots of good things happening. HOWEVER, that does not mean that you should abandon safe sex as so many people have done lately. If you tested negative for all hepatitis markers, then you and your girlfriend should get vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B ASAP! Stay safe! DTD

Previous
Apparant inconistency of opinion between experts on forum
Next
Oral sex and hep c transmission.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.