Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C treatment?
Jul 25, 2005

I am currently not on any treatment for Hep C. My viral load in almost 4,000,000, ALT 52, AST 84, no fibrosis. My doctor is wanting to start me on the pegasys treatment. What do you think?

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is not unreasonable to treat or not to treat. The good thing is - you have options.

1. Treat: Because you may respond well and get a "cure" of your hepatitis C. You may tolerate the treatment better than you anticipate. 2. Don't Treat: Because your liver disease looks minimal by biopsy. However, I am not sure why your AST is greater than your ALT. I usually see that is two situations: alcohol use or in someone who has more liver disease than may be expected by the liver biopsy report.

I would favor a 12 week course to see if you are having a great response. If not, just stop.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
how can we get hepa b
Next
Hepatitis screening results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.