Need help with interpretation of results?

I have recently been exposed by to a patients blood while hand tying sutures that were in the Achilles tendon. The suture caused a friction tear in my skin and the first glove. THe second glove did not have any tears as I tested it by running saline into the glove. But later I realized the same happened on my left hand but I did not test this glove. The patient's results are as follows Hep B surface Ag (-), Hep B Surface Ab (+), Hep B Core (+), Z-HBCAB-Igm (-), Hep C virus Ab(-). I was told not to worry b/c pt is not infectious b/c IgM indicates it not a recent infection. Is this true, only reason I worry is b/c my labs show I am no longer immune to Hep b and need a booster.Thank you.

The donor you were exposed to fortunately does not have chronic hepatitis B. The surface antigen is negative and that is the main concern. The patient also does not have acute hepatitis B since the IgM is negative.

It is a good time to get your booster anyway for future protection. There are no worries related to this last exposure.

Dr. McGovern

Update on relationship and HEP b
HBV through sweat exposure