HIV and HepC

Dear Sir, I ahave been dianosed HIV with Hep C in the year 2000. Now I am planning to start ART , what is suitable for me , Please adviced me

Confuse Mike

It is true that HIV patients with chronic viral hepatitis have an increased risk of drug toxicity after starting antiretroviral therapy (ART). However, this should never be used as a reason not to start.

You ask a good question - what is suitable for you? I think you should first discuss with your provider how significant your liver disease is. If for example, you simply had chronic hepatitis, I think the main issue is to be aware of any of the signs and symptoms of possible hepatotoxicity - nausea, vomiting, right upper quadrant pain, new fatigue, loss of appetite, jaundice. If any of these signs should begin while on a new medication, you need to call your physician.

If you have cirrhosis, then your provider should discuss the use of protease inhibitors which have been studied for dosing in liver disease (ie, fosamprenavir).

Dr. McGovern

Slower progression?
how contagious is hep c